Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Things Are Better Now!

The last post was a little bit on the down side, so I figured I should follow it up to let you all know things are much better this week!  I never ended up needing to give Ethan medicine.  I'm not sure if it was the changes I made in nursing him or if it was side effects from his vaccination... but that afternoon he ended up being just fine.  We've had some moments here or there were he has been really gassy and fussy, but other than that things have been good.  Unfortunately I ended up getting mastitis over the weekend, but I caught it quickly with antibiotics and recovered quickly from that, although that was not how I had hoped to spend our 5 year anniversary!

In other news, Trey is doing really well with potty training.  I am not going overboard yet with it, but he sits on it after each meal and before nap and bedtime.  We've had a few successes, but mostly he just "tries"... which counts too!  He gets four M&M's for trying and six if he successfully goes!  It's pretty exciting to think we might be down to one kid in diapers soon.  I was going to use Pullups for Trey, but ended up taking them back.  Once we get a little further along in what we're doing now, I'm getting him some underwear.  But we're definitely not there yet!!

Also exciting, I bought some preschool curriculum books for Trey.  He already knows many of his colors, numbers and alphabet, among other things... but I want to keep building on that.  My mom was great about teaching us all the basics before we even got to preschool (for those of us who went... which I guess was just me and my sister Sarah;-)).  I'm hoping to do the same for Trey!  We'll see how it goes.  The hardest part is not his ability but his attitude.  So I'm just making it fun and light and teaching him skills using lots of his toys and when we're coloring and painting, etc. 

Ethan is starting to be awake more and will lay sometimes for 20-30 minutes at a time by himself on his playmat looking around and making cooing sounds.  I can't tell you how nice it is to hear a sound from him other than a cry;-)  He still sleeps alot though.  He also sleeps really well at night still.  I'm starting to think about when and how I will introduce him to sleeping in the bedroom with Trey... but we've still got time before I have to worry about that.  I'm hoping to get him sleeping through the night first so he doesn't disturb Trey.

He's still a huge baby!  He's wearing 3 month clothes now for the most part and some 0-3.  He's grown really long as well!  I just can't believe how big he is... the doctor is going to be shocked when she sees him in a few weeks.  I have a feeling he's well over 11 lbs now.

Our 5th anniversary was a little crazy with my infection and just craziness with the boys, but thanks to my inlaws, we were able to leave the boys with them and go out to Mr. Airy Tavern for dinner.  It was short, but we had a good time!  And Pj brought me home some beautiful roses:-)  We are hoping to do our original plan of an extended dinner and movie afterwards maybe next month... here's hoping nothing goes wrong again;-)

That's it for now!!  I have ironing and dinner prep to do while both boys are sleeping and then hopefully can get a nap too!

No comments:

Post a Comment